Veteran saluting Flag 300x190Many veterans may not be aware of the many senior care benefits they have earned because of their service to our country.

More than a third of Americans older than 65 are wartime veterans or a spouse of a wartime vet, but may not realize they qualify for a Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) program called the Aid & Attendance benefit. Unfortunately, nearly 70% of veterans or their families are unaware of benefits available to them.

Embassy Healthcare reminds veterans and their families they can save significant amounts of money by applying for all of these benefits they deserve.   

VA Pension

This supplemental income helps veterans and their families through the Veterans Pension and Survivors Pension programs. Available to veterans and widowed spouses of veterans, this pension is needs-based, with a “countable” family income that must fall below a limit set by Congress.

To qualify, the veteran must have served at least 90 days of active duty (one of those days during active wartime), as well as at least one of the following: veteran must be 65 or older with limited or no income; living in a nursing facility; receive Social Security Disability Insurance; or be permanently disabled.

Aid & Attendance

Those veterans and survivors eligible for a VA pension who also depend on the aid and attendance of another person, or are considered housebound, could receive this monetary assistance. The Aid & Attendance (A&A) increased monthly pension may be added to a monthly pension if one of the following conditions are met:

  • You need help with everyday living tasks such as feeding, bathing, dressing, and more.
  • You are bedridden, with your disability requiring you to stay in bed other than a prescribed course of treatment.
  • You reside in a nursing facility due to physical or mental conditions.
  • Your eyesight is 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes, or you have a concentric contraction of visual field to 5 degrees or less.


This increased pension amount is not available to veterans or surviving spouses already getting A&A benefits. However, it can be added to a regular monthly pension when the veteran is confined to their immediate premises due to permanent disability.

How To Apply

You can apply for the A&A or Housebound pension through the Pension Management Center serving your state, or visit your regional benefit office.